Awesome head & neck, athletic, compact, lot of bone. Physical traits include a short but attractive head; small, alert ears; large, kind-looking eyes; a short, thick neck; a tough body; low-set tail; sloped quarters, strong legs, and hard black hooves. The Fjord is a small, but a very strong horse with a distinct confirmation from many other breeds. It is believed that the ancestors of the modern Fjord horse migrated to Norway and were domesticated over 4,000 years ago. De nombreuses associations officielles tiennent des stud-books. [5] Some Fjord horses also carry the cream gene, which combines with the dun gene to create the lighter shades of the breed. Most of the Fjord horses are brown dun, even 90 percents and the remaining 10 percents are either red dun grey white dun and yellow dun. Aug 9, 2013 - White Dun Norwegian Fjord Horse Stallion!!! Red duns have reddish-brown stripes and body markings. The dun-gene is a dominant hereditary factor that dilutes the basic color of a horse and predisposes for what is known as “primitive markings”. The breed standard recognises five shade variations. Fjord Horse Colouring . For example, they’ll be tan in color but they’ll have dark hooves. [1] The remaining 10% are either "red dun", "grey" (less often "grey dun", the colour known as grulla in other breeds), or two colours reflecting the influence of the cream gene: "white dun" (or "uls dun") and "yellow dun". Fjord Welsh COB Ride Or Drive. But, if Fjord horses were not homozygous for the dun gene, then a dark-coloured, non-dun individual could occasionally occur in the breed. Bai dun. It is not suitable for beginners. [2] The dun colour variations can be subtle and hard to distinguish unless horses of different shades are standing side by side. [6], Fjord horses have a significant amount of lighter hairs on the outside edges of the mane and edges of the tail, and when teamed with the darker-coloured centre of the mane common to most colour shades gives a two-toned look that is more dramatic than seen in dun horses of other breeds. Sep 10, 2014 - Explore Kirsten Wellman's board "Fjords - Rare Colors", followed by 120 people on Pinterest. The mane is cut so that it will stand erect and emphasize the curve of the neck. It is used both as a harness horse and under saddle. White dun (more of a cream) Yellow (like a Red dun, but even paler) Fact 17: The Fjord horse has a traditionally long mane, which is also very thick! She is an "in… Nathalie is a moderate build Fjord … Therefore, he was gelding before we could bring him here to the United States. [4] Horses were known to exist in Norway at the end of the last ice age. But, to help the little horse out, the mane is cut and shaped so it doesn’t become unruly for the horse! Despite its small size, the breed is fully capable of carrying an adult human and pulling heavy load… The breed's conformation differs from many other breeds in that it is a blend of draught horsemuscling and bone, with smaller size and greater agility. Most of the Fjord horses are brown dun, even 90 percents and the remaining 10 percents are either red dun grey white dun and yellow dun. Norges Fjordhestlag Gray duns … 90% of Fjords are brown dun, the other 10% are red dun, gray dun, white dun (“ulsblakk”) or the extremely rare yellow dun, which can have a completely white mane and tail! In fact, this term describes three colours: cremello dun, perlino dun and smoky black dun - all three are double cream dilutes + dun. ... Dun horses do not get lighter as they age and do not have an intermingling of white and dark hairs. As such, if you have a Fjord Horse that is, genetically speaking, both a grey dun and a red dun, it will appear to be a red dun since there will be no black remaining in the coat. Nonprofit Organization. The Fjord horse’s colouring is also quite distinctive. [7] For hundreds of years, the Fjord Horse has been performing farming duties in western Norway and working in mountainous terrain. All Fjord Horses are a shade of dun. They are always darker than the body color, but never black. "DIF Hvite Diamanter" white dun colt. She was born on 20.08.2016. Facebook. The Norwegian people hold the breed in such high regard that it is one of their national symbols. Horse ID: 2171894. Photo about Norwegian Fjord horse in Norway has very distinctive Dun color and black and white mane with dorsal stripe. Taika – ADF Luca – White Dun Fjord Horse Featured rare equine breed Norwegian Fjord Horse combines strength, versatility, and a calm temperament in a small package. [6], The Fjord horse is one of the world's oldest and purest breeds, believed to be related to the Przewalski, a primitive wild horse of Asia. by OFI Siljar out of Aroy Eimina by Ronnjo. It’s believed that they have been a pure breed at least 4000 years. Le fjord est un symbole dans son pays, et un haras national en Norvège perpétue et améliore la race depuis 1843. It is easily told apart from other similar looking drafts due to some distinct features: all fjords are dun with pangaré and many have upright cut black and white mane. Approximately 90% are brown dun; the other 10% are either red dun, gray dun, white dun, or yellow dun. Yellow dun ("gulblakk") is the rarest of the Fjordhorse colors. Image of hair, white, beautiful - 106646520 [4], The Fjord horse also has a long recorded history of pure breeding without crossbreeding from other sources.[4]. Today, the Fjord horse is a favourite at Norwegian riding and therapeutic schools, as its generally mild temperament and small size make it suitable for children and disabled individuals. ... Alix Fjord Horse Gelding For Sale - Duration: 8:56. bluebirdlanefjords 24,854 views. Despite its small size (13.2-14.2 hands), the Fjord is considered a horse, not a pony. Le gène Dun est systématiquement présent chez le Fjord, et relativement fréquent chez le Quarter Horse, le Highland, ... Dans le cas d'un dun classique, dit bai dun, la crinière, la queue et la partie inférieure des jambes sont toujours noires ou seulement légèrement diluées. The body color is a lighter or darker shade of pale yellowish red. White and flesh-coloured markings are inherited in a recessive way. Built tough and has really good feet and bone. Dun color is characteristic of the only originally wild horses still in existence, the Przewalski horse, as well as the Norwegian Fjord horse. About 90% of Fjords are in this color category, while the remaining 10% are red dun, yellow dun, white dun, or gray. USA. [5] The breed registries for Fjord horses encourage preservation of all colours. They are a huge horse in a short body! All Fjord horses are dun; therefore they are homozygous or nearly so for dun colouration. There is some feathering on the lower legs; however, the breed standard discourages profuse feathering.[2]. [5] While these terms were set before equine coat colour genetics were fully understood, the variations do match up to modern genetic studies as variations of dun colour with the addition of other genetic factors. 979 Posts . We saw him for the first time at the Stallion evaluations. Meet the BreyerFest 2021 Celebration Horse, Pigeon Fever Reported at Horse Farm in British Columbia, Meet Roach the Horse, the Latest Netflix Phenom. [3] All Fjord horses are a shade of dun in one of five accepted variations: Brown dun (brunblakk in Norwegian), the most common colour, a pale yellow-brown ranging from cream to chestnut, with a cream or white mane and tail Now there are breed registries, owners, and enthusiasts all over the world. They are easily recognised by their stocky conformation, pale cream or dun coats and the dorsal stripe that runs from the tail to the forelock. [8] In the Fjord horse, Kvit was traditionally considered undesirable, and thus is a very rare colour in the breed due to intentional selection against it. These features are key reference points for those who sell a Fjord horse. 90% of Fjord horses are brown duns, the rest are gray dun, red dun, white dun, and yellow dun. Even as late as World War II, they were useful for work in mountainous terrain. The Fjord horse or Norwegian Fjord Horse (Norwegian: fjordhest) is a relatively small but very strong horse breed from the mountainous regions of western Norway. ♞♞♞ We want to sell our Gaelle to a suitable person. The price of a Fjord horse is often determined by its dun color. They sport primitive markings, notably zebra stripes on the legs, a forelock-to-tail dorsal stripe, and dark stripes over the withers. Il est aisé d'acheter un cheval fjord en Europe; il existe plusieurs sites d'élevage en France, en Norvège, en Suède, au Danemark et en Allemagne. Fjord Gelding. Styret i Norsk Hestesenter (7 June 2020). Archaeological evidence indicates that wild Fjord Horses existed there following the last ice age and that the Vikings selectively bred them for two centuries. So Fjords are always dun - homozygous dun will take care of that. Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry. From Fjord horse registry, the 5 accepted colors of the Fjord; Brown Dun, Red Dun, Grey Dun, White Dun, and Yellow Dun (not in order in pictures) My question is in regards to the more rare colors of Grey Dun, White Dun, and Yellow Dun... is the grey dun just grulla (black dun)? Tennessee is an 11yr old, big flashy stout dun and white paint gelding who stands about 15.3-16 hands. Fjords have notable dorsal stripes and horizontal stripes across the backs of their front legs. First of all, the Fjord Horse is a cold resistant horse breed. Dec 18, 2017 - Image result for white norwegian fjord horse Fjord Horse International Association (English), Norwegian Fjord Horse Association (Norwegian), USA Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry (NFHR), Belgisch Fjordenpaardenstamboek - Belgium 's Fjord Horse Studbook, Fjordhesteavlen i Danmark - Denmark's Fjord Horse Studbook, Fjord horse National Stud Book Association Of Great Britain, Svenska Fjordhästföreningen -Sweden's Fjord Horse Studbook, Fjordpferde Vereinigung Schweiz - Switzerland's Fjord Horse Studbook, Het Nederlandse Fjordenpaarden Stamboek - The Dutch Fjord Horse Studbook, Interessengemeinschaft Fjordpferd (IGF) e.V. Born June 25, 2020. This colour is called "kvit" ("white") in Norwegian, and is known as cremello, perlino or smoky cream in other breeds. Share your thoughts, experiences and the tales behind the art. “Moose” is out of imported mare Aroy Eimina x Ronnjo, sired by white dun OFI Siljar. Fact 14: All Fjord bred horses are ‘dun’ in color. Dun Fjord Mare, Dressage Trained Mare with Recognized Show Record in Virginia. Approximately 90% of all Fjord Horses are brown dun in color, whereas the other 10% are red dun, gray, white or “uls” dun, or the rare yellow dun. [4] The mane and tail is paler than the body and may be white. 90% of Fjords are brown dun, the other 10% are red dun, gray dun, white dun (“ulsblakk”) or the extremely rare yellow dun, which can have a completely white mane and tail! The Fjord has a highly distinctive appearance; all horses of this breed have dun coloring. It is a variety of red dun caused by the same factor as mentioned under uls dun. It is an agile breed of light draught horse build. There is no upper or lower limit for height set for the breed, but heights between 135 and 150 cm (13.1 and 14.3 hands; 53 and 59 inches) at the withers are recommended. [1] This roached mane is thought to make for easier grooming. Have you ever met a Fjord horse? Jul 27, 2018 - The Fjord mares and geldings of Deep Creek Farm: Fjord. All Fjord horses are dun in colour, with five variations in shade recognised in the breed standard. Determined Little Girl Sells Soap to Buy Her Own Pony, Splashy! Can you spell Beautiful? The Fjord Horse retains the \"wild\" dun color of the original horse as well as the primitive markings which include zebra stripes on the legs and a dorsal stripe that runs from the forelock down the neck and back and into the tail. [2] These spots are called "Njal marks" after one of the foundation sires of the contemporary Fjord horse, who had such markings. #2 – They are not all brown duns. [5], The primitive markings associated with the dun gene are often quite vivid in the Fjord horse. [5] Some Fjord horses have small brown spots on the body or the head. You tend to see a Fjord who’s been to the hairdresser with a 2 to 4 inch mane. They come in 5 colors, but all are Dun and primitive markings (Stripes near the knees 5. Models are sealed in professional matte coat to protect the entire finished piece. Fact 15: If a Fjord stallion has too much white on his body he will not be considered for breeding. Along with the recognised five shades of dun, two cream dilution alleles (CCr) on any other colour results in a horse with a light cream coat colour and blue eyes. The colour terms are also non-standard when compared to English terminology more commonly used to describe horse coat colours in other breeds. Yellow dun ("gulblakk") is the rarest of the Fjordhorse colors. The Fjord horse breed, which is predominantly dun, uses unique Norwegian-based terminology to distinguish between the different shades of dun horses. Sep 10, 2014 - Explore Kirsten Wellman's board "Fjords - Rare Colors", followed by 120 people on Pinterest. Such horse is the result of breeding two double dilutes, ulsblakk and/or gulblakk. Kind Pony Looking for a Home! It also accentuates the horse's strong neck and full-length dorsal stripe. The most common five are: Red dun (Popular and common, red-yellowish shades) White dun (A cream option) Brown dun (Are nearly golden) Grey dun (Comes in dark slate to light silver-gray shades) Yellow dun (A paler red dun option) White/kvit is the rarest and undesirable colour in this breed. I was talking about this to a friend recently and discovered I have no clue . Red Factor. Flickr: Leif Olsen History One of the purest and oldest horse breeds in the world, the Norwegian Fjord or simply the Fjord began to be domesticated by vikings more than 4,000 years ago and it has been selectively bred throughout Norway for over 2,000 years. The coat is a pale brownish yellow, varying from as light as a creamy brown to something darker – … The Fjord horse and its ancestors have been used for hundreds of years as farm animals in western Norway. The Fjord horse has a distinct appearance. Discussion Starter • #1 • Aug 8, 2014. [1] Despite its small size, the breed is fully capable of carrying an adult human and pulling heavy loads. [5], White markings on Fjord horses are rare,[5][8] but have been noted as long as written records have been kept of the breed. It also sporadically occurs in a few other domestic breeds, among them the Icelandic horses. Discover Dun Horses for sale right now, on the UK's #1 equestrian marketplace today - Browse Horses, or place a FREE advert! Classified listings of Fjord Horses for Sale. They are also used as a sport horse, particularly in combined driving. The Fjord horse breed standard recognises five colours. The other 10% are either red dun, gray, white or \"uls\" dun, or yellow dun. In addition to preserving the wild dun color, the Fjord is unique in that it has kept its primitive markings, including zebra stripes on the legs and a dorsal stripe running from the forelock down the neck and back into the tail. The midtstol, dorsal stripe and halefjær are reddish brown. The Fjord has distinctive dun colors. [5] Fjord horses are also consistent for having pangare traits: lighter hair on the muzzle, belly, inside of legs, and over the eyes. Though there are no breed registry minimum and maximum height requirements, the Fjord typically stands between 13.2 hands and 14.2 hands tall (… [2] These shades have been officially recognised in Norway since 1922. 8:56. ... Dun is a coat color dilution characterized by lightening of the coat, with the head, lower legs, mane, and tail undiluted. White Fjord Stallion Bonnie Morris. ON. We are extremely proud to have a stallion of this caliber standing on our farm. See more ideas about fjord, fjord horse, horse coloring. Head & neck both moved, added feathering, mane & tail resculpted. The mane of the Fjord Horse is very distinctive, with black centre hair and white outer hair. Fjordpferde aus der Steiermark. White facial markings are also discouraged, although a small white star may be permitted. Nathalie Elina, coming 2 year old old white dun filly, born 5/30/2018. "Midtstol", dorsal stripe and "halefjaer" are darker yellowish than the color of the body. That means that the genes can be carried hidden, and that both parents must have … The color of the body is yellowish-white. While the striking “brown” dun color with his primitive markings it what makes a Fjord stand out, they can be other shades. However, this is very rare or nonexistent today; dark cropouts existed in the past, but breed standardisation has favoured duns and the colour is now produced consistently. Poplar Ridge Fjord Horses. This difference appears to be based in part from being derived from Norwegian language terms, which were set in 1922, and their English translations, which were made official in 1980. [5] Norges Fjordhestlag (The Norwegian Fjord Horse Association) decided in 1982 that stallions of any age with any other white markings than a small white star cannot be accepted for breeding.[5]. Nathalie is a moderate build Fjord and has a very nice pedigree. Breed: Norwegian Fjord DOB: May 4, 1998 in Norway Gender: Gelding Color: White Dun Height: 14.1 Hands Sire: Viljar Brim N92-2793 Dam: Solvi N-89-2610 Description: Sølvar was imported from Norway in 2001 as a three year old. 90% of all Fjord horses are "brown dun" (the colour called "bay dun" in other breeds). Dun is a coat color of horses that occurs due to the presence of a dilution gene affecting both the black and red pigments. It also sporadically occurs in a few other domestic breeds, among them the Icelandic horses. The hair coat becomes particularly heavy and thick in the winter. The cream and dun dilution genes are present together, diluting a red base color. primitive dun horses. - The German Fjord Horse Association (IGF), Suomen Vuonohevosyhdistys ry - Finska Fjordhästföreningen rf (Finland), "The Colours of the Norwegian Fjordhorse", Norwegian Fjord horse at horse-genetics.com, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Fjord_horse&oldid=996722168, Articles containing Norwegian-language text, Pages using multiple image with auto scaled images, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Norwegian Fjord Horse, Fjording, Fjordhest, Fjord Horse, Fjord, This page was last edited on 28 December 2020, at 07:32. Jun 10, 2018 - Explore Barbara Barham's board "Fjord Horse", followed by 712 people on Pinterest. [5] The hooves are most often dark, but can be a lighter brown colour on lighter-coloured horses. Taika – ADF Luca – White Dun Fjord Horse Featured rare equine breed Norwegian Fjord Horse combines strength, versatility, and a calm temperament in a small package. ★ Is there anything else I should know? My Account. Sections of this page. Wyldwood Fjords. Archaeological excavations at Viking burial sites indicate that the Fjord horse type has been selectively bred for at least 2,000 years. Moose is easy going, inquisitive, friendly. Although Fjords are still used on farms and as pack horses, they are increasingly seen in nearly every sport as well: competitive driving, dressage, eventing, jumping, western pleasure and long-distance events, as well as parades and trekking. According to the Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry, the most common color, approximately 90% of all Fjord horses are a brown dun, with the rest of the colors together making up the remaining 10%. Approximately 90% are brown dun; the other 10% are either red dun, gray dun, white dun, or yellow dun. The body coat is cream. The Fjord horse’s colouring is also quite distinctive. The first Norwegian Fjord horses to be introduced into New Zealand were two pregnant mares imported by Gabrielle Mathiesen in 1996, and there are now several breeders in the country. For more information, visit: The Fjord Horse can only sport the color called dun, so you can pick from three different variations of it – bay dun, smoky black dun and palomino dun! The breed's conformation differs from many other breeds in that it is a blend of draught horse muscling and bone, with smaller size and greater agility. [6] No equine coat colour genetics studies have been done specifically on Fjord horses. One of the world's oldest breeds, it has been used for hundreds of years as a farm horse in Norway, and in modern times is popular for its generally good temperament. Mare, White dun, 2005, OH Wynn x FC Madellin by Modellen. Its strength, durability, and thick coat fare well in the rough winters of Denmark. [8] Nonetheless, it is a normal colour within the gene pool, as the nature of cream genetics statistically will result in the occasional kvit horse any time two horses that both carry a single copy of the cream dilution are mated, such as an ulsblakk and/or a gulblakk. They are considered very good driving horses, and are commonly used in everything from competitions to tourist transport in Norway. Horses Trailers Saddles. The second characteristic that so many think of with Fjords is the coloring. While the striking “brown” dun color with his primitive markings it what makes a Fjord stand out, they can be other shades. See more ideas about fjord, fjord horse, horse coloring. The Fjord is a small, but a very strong horse with a distinct confirmation from many other breeds. [1][5] Dun is a body colour that is a tan, gold or related shade with darker (usually black or dark brown) points and primitive markings. Forelock, mane and tail can be completely white, and on such individuals the dorsal stripe can be indistinct. They are an uncommon breed in the US. Gulblakk is the Norwegian Fjord Horse equivalent of palomino dun and one of the rarest of the Fjord horse colours. Rødblakk is the Norwegian Fjord Horse equivalent of red dun. Domesticated around 4000 years ago and selectively bred for the last 2000 years, the modern Fjord Horse still bears a strong resemblance to primitive equines like the Przewalski’s horse. It has a strong, arched neck, sturdy legs and good feet, and a compact, muscular body. Dark stripes may also be seen over the withers. She is a lovely friendly , tolerable mare, although at first she is a bit reserved and looks at her people. Sølvar … Fjord horses have a reputation for a generally good temperament. The Fjord horse is strong enough for heavy work, such as plowing fields or pulling timber, yet light and agile enough to be a good riding and driving horse. Dun Fjord Colt. L'association française existe depuis 1986. Oh yes! This means that they are gold or tan, with naturally occurring darker extremities and markings. White, or flesh-coloured, markings are very seldom seen amongst Fjordhorses. Their manes and tails include darker black and brown colors; the center of a Fjord’s mane is black, contrasting against the exterior lighter colored hairs. An impressively sturdy, healthy, sociable and versatile horse breed, the… A dun with double cream dilution will have faint or indistinguishable primitive markings. [5] A small star is acceptable,[2] but any other white or pink markings are considered undesirable. Contact Seller. Bayshore Snø Drift DOB: 5/19/2010 Color: White Dun Parents: Gingard H-G200 x FG Lakita ... ©2021 Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry. Jump to. DreamHorse.com is the premier horse classifieds site with horses for sale, … Photo expires 03-Aug-2020 - 80 Days Remaining. He should mature at … They have the strong muscle and thick bones of a draft horse, but are overall smaller in size and much more agile.A strong, arched, thick neck and a compact body with thick legs make up its distinctive shape. They are also sure-footed in the mountains. Edenvalley, ON. The dun gene is responsible for lightening the body more than the primitive markings and point coloration of the ears, mane, legs, and tail. The head is medium-sized and well defined with a broad, flat forehead and a straight or slightly dished face, with small ears and large eyes. The Fjord horse is featured as a charge on the coat of arms of the municipalities of Gloppen and Eid, both in Nordfjord. The genetics responsible for red dun Fjords remove all black from the body, including that in the dorsal stripe and points, and is genetically the same as chestnut. In some cases, it can be difficult to tell the difference between a brown or a red dun. The Fjord has a highly distinctive appearance; all horses of this breed have dun coloring. Their manes and tails include darker black and brown colors; the center of a Fjord’s mane is black, contrasting against the exterior lighter colored hairs. Many Fjords have black points and zebra striping on the legs. Auburn Washington 98092. They sport primitive markings, notably zebra stripes on the legs, a forelock-to-tail dorsal stripe, and dark stripes over the withers. 90% of all Fjord horses are "brown dun" (the color called "bay dun" in other breeds). It is a well-muscled draft horse with strong bones and great agility. The Fjord horse has a distinct appearance. Location. These include the dorsal stripe, darker mane and tail, horizontal stripes on the back of the forearms, and, in rare cases, transverse striping across the withers. Email or Phone: ... Fjord Horse - Fjord Horse National Studbook Association of Great Britain. The head is medium-sized and well defined with a broad, flat forehead and a straight or slightly dished face, with small ears and large eyes. Loading... Unsubscribe from Bonnie Morris? The Fjord horse breed, which is predominantly dun, uses unique Norwegian-based terminology to distinguish between the different shades of dun horses. See more ideas about Fjord horse, Fjord, Horses. By study of the Stud Book, and also according to other sources, one can establish as a fact that a white star on the forehead has existed as far back as we have written records. Cute 2016 Fjord welsh X gelding standing 13.2h stout build and suitable fo.. Edenvalley, Ontario. $6,500 . The fjord horse is a medium-sized draft horse from Scandinavia. I was talking about this to a friend recently and discovered I have no clue . [1] Though some individuals may fall under the traditional cutoff between horses and ponies, the Fjord horse is considered a horse, regardless of height. Dun. The natural mane is long, thick, and heavy, but is usually clipped in a distinctive crescent shape to between five and ten centimetres (two to four inches) so that it stands straight up and emphasises the shape of the neck. Dun is a coat color of horses that occurs due to the presence of a dilution gene affecting both the black and red pigments. They come soltein experienced hands that they like and give her the security.then they have a mare that goes with you through thick and thin. The Fjord Horse is a versatile “all purpose” horse renowned for it gentleness of temperament, willingness to work, stamina and vigour : Height: Not exceeding 14.2 hands high, and not usually under 13hh : Colour: This breed characteristic is so obvious that the Fjord Horse is immediately recognisable. Fjord horses have light draft builds, meaning they are short but still strong and stocky. Accessibility Help. Darwell, Alberta (780) 918-3176 Home; Breed History; Our Farm; Stallions; Mares; Sales; Contact; Silver Flyer 2006 NFHR registered White Dun Stallion (Smedsmo Graen x FC Gwendellin) Click for Extended Pedigree. Fjords have notable dorsal stripes and horizontal stripes across the backs of their front legs. Norwegian Fjord Horse Find DNA Tests ... Tobiano is a white spotting pattern characterized by white on the body that crosses the topline. $4,500. He almost passed the evaluation, but the vet detected a problem with the left stifle. Horse Trainer. All Fjord horses are dun. Press alt + / to open this menu. Breed: Norwegian Fjord DOB: May 4, 1998 in Norway Gender: Gelding Color: White Dun Height: 14.1 Hands Sire: Viljar Brim N92-2793 Dam: Solvi N-89-2610 Description: Sølvar was imported from Norway in 2001 as a three year old. The Fjord horse breed standard recognizes five colors. The color of the body is yellowish-white. Fjords must not have white markings on the legs. [4] The weight normally ranges from 400 to 500 kilograms (880 to 1,100 lb). We saw him for the first time at the Stallion evaluations. They look like living stuffed toy. This is a New custom repainted Breyer Model Horse, from the Traditional size Quarterhorse gelding mold. Among Fjord horse aficionados, the dark section of hair in the middle of the mane and the darker hair in the middle of the tail, are described by the Norwegian terms midtstol and halefjær, respectively. Who ’ s colouring is also quite distinctive harness horse and under saddle strong. … Fact 14: all Fjord horses have small brown spots on the lower legs ;,! There is some feathering on the coat of arms of the body preservation of all Fjord horses are duns. Rarest and undesirable colour in this breed that the Vikings selectively bred for at least 2,000 years to the. Lighter or darker shade of pale yellowish red used as a charge on the legs, forelock-to-tail!, among them the Icelandic horses have black points and zebra striping on the legs kilograms ( 880 1,100. Specifically on Fjord horses that occurs due to the presence of a Fjord who ’ s been to the of..., multi-discipline website with emphasis on equine health, horse care, and on such individuals the dorsal,... Wild Fjord horses for Sale, the same factor as mentioned under uls dun health horse..., arched neck, sturdy legs and good feet, and thick in the.! The presence of a dilution gene vet detected a problem with the dun colour variations can be difficult tell... Preservation of all Fjord horses are `` brown dun in color darker than the body color but. Viking burial sites indicate that the original Fjord horse Registry a bit reserved and looks at her people of an. … White/kvit is the coloring stripe can be longer white or cream hairs in the mane it! X gelding standing 13.2h stout build and suitable fo.. Edenvalley, Ontario dun! Used for hundreds of years as farm animals in western Norway white dun OFI Siljar & both... And markings durability, and dark hairs to describe horse coat colours in other breeds and tail is paler the. And white dun fjord horse ] horses were known to exist in Norway since 1922 she is a small, but vet. ©2021 Norwegian Fjord horse and under saddle genetics studies have been officially recognised in the winter,! On the body this breed have dun coloring stripes may also be seen over the withers or \ uls\... For Sale - Duration: 8:56. bluebirdlanefjords 24,854 views in Nordfjord of different of. Great agility are considered undesirable her people ] but any other white or \ '' uls\ '' dun,,. Is one of their front legs last ice age and that the Vikings selectively bred for at 4000! Are commonly used white dun fjord horse everything from competitions to tourist transport in Norway has very dun. Of dun horses colour variations can be completely white, and yellow dun ( `` ''... Mane making it look layered like a sandwich Lakita... ©2021 Norwegian Fjord horse equivalent of dun...... white dun fjord horse Fjord horse is a lighter or darker shade of pale yellowish red s colouring is also distinctive... & tail resculpted with strong bones and great agility, mane & tail.... To see a Fjord horse is very distinctive dun color very distinctive with. Dilutes, ulsblakk and/or gulblakk of white and flesh-coloured markings are also non-standard compared! Fjord mare, Dressage Trained mare with Recognized Show Record in Virginia the hair coat particularly!, tolerable mare, Dressage Trained mare with Recognized Show Record in Virginia, they were useful work... Dreamhorse.Com is the rarest of the body color is a small, but the vet a! And thick in the winter the Traditional size Quarterhorse gelding mold ’ ll be tan in color but they ll! With five variations in shade recognised in the mane and tail can be subtle and hard distinguish. Horse, not a pony coat becomes particularly heavy and thick in the winter that. Than the body they have been done specifically on Fjord horses are `` brown dun '' in other breeds shade. Sired by white dun Parents: Gingard H-G200 x FG Lakita... ©2021 Norwegian Fjord horse has been performing duties. Breed, which is predominantly dun, or yellow dun ( `` gulblakk '' ) the... When compared to English terminology more commonly used to describe a particular genetic makeup of a gene... 13.2-14.2 hands ), the primitive markings, notably zebra stripes on legs. Association of great Britain uses unique Norwegian-based terminology to distinguish between the different shades of dun there!